Assessment Support Panel
** Currently, there is a vacancy for a teacher member (examiner). More information is available at the bottom of this page **
The Assessment Support Panel (ASP) is part of the Board of Examiners and responsible for the quality of assessment. The ASP monitors the quality of:
- assessment procedures;
- written course exams, either by random sampling or upon request;
- scoring of complex tasks, including scoring of presentations of scientific data, of theses and of research projects (by random sampling).
The ASP collects and assesses information on:
- Cum Laude graduates of the School per programme;
- percentages of passes per course;
- grades for thesis and research projects (average and a frequency table); if possible per department.
The ASP advises on:
- implementing optimal procedures to ensure valid and reliable assessment of learning outcomes;
- professional development of examiners/staff with respect to assessment, based on the survey of assessment quality within GSLS programmes.
The AP functions as a think tank: the members of the assessment panel possess or acquire knowledge of assessment theory and of the applicability of the multiple forms of assessment for the various educational goals set by the GSLS programmes.
Members of the Assessment Panel:
dr. ir. I.E.T. (Inge) van den Berg (chair)
Department of Genetics
drs. A. (Annemarie) Heersche
dr. E. (Esther) de Graaff
dr. M.W.H.C (Marianne) Bol-Schoenmakers
Institute for Risk Assessment
dr. ir. K.L. (Koen) Vincken
Image Science Institute
dr. R.A.M. Bouwmeester (advisor, secretary)
dr. K. (Karin) Scager (advisor)
Educational Development and Training
More information and contact
For questions or advise regarding assessment, please contact the Assessment Support Panel.
dr. ir. Inge van den Berg
drs. Annemarie Heersche
dr. Esther de Graaff
dr. Marianne Bol - Schoenamakers
dr. ir. Koen Vincken
dr. Rianne Bouwmeester
dr. Karin Scager
Vacancy information: please click here: Vacancy examiners AP.pdf
The Assessment Panel monitors the quality of:
- assessment procedures of the GSLS programmes as a whole
- assessment procedures of the individual curriculum components
- course exams, either by random sampling or upon request
- assessment of complex tasks (e.g. presentations of scientific data, theses, research projects) by random sampling
The Assessment Panel collects and evaluates information on:
- student perception of assessment
- success rates
- percentages of candidates achieving cum laude
- grades for written assignments and research projects
The Assessment Panel advises on:
- implementing effective assessment procedures
- aligning assessment with learning outcomes set by the GSLS programmes
- developing assessment matrices
- grading written assignments
- designing rubrics
- professional development of examiners and staff with respect to assessment
The main task is to support coordinators and teachers in solving assessment-related issues. They will provide answers to your questions concerning assessment, i.e.
- What is the best way to grade written assignments?
- How can I improve the quality of my exam questions (both open ended and multiple choice)?
- How do I design questions testing at various cognitive levels (knowledge, insight, or application)
- How do I determine the distinction between pass and fail?
- How can I evaluate the quality of my exam using psychometric analysis?
- How do I interpret the psychometric values obtained?
- How can I incorporate participation in group work activities in the (final) grade of the course?
Contact the Assessment Panel.
Development of rubrics for research reports, practical skill and presentation skills.
Paper “Cijfers in de master meester: hoe consistent is de beoordeling van stages en scripties bj de Graduate School of Life Sciences (UU)?”.